shew v : establish the validity of something, as by an example, explanation or experiment; "The experiment demonstrated the instability of the compound"; "The mathematician showed the validity of the conjecture" [syn: prove, demonstrate, establish, show] [ant: disprove] [also: shewn]
- Rhymes: -əʊ
- , Genesis 12:1
- Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
- 1786: Francis Grose, A Treatise on Ancient Armour and Weapons,
- The section shewing its concavity and handle.
- ????: M. Le Page Du Pratz, History of Louisisana (PG) page 40.
- I give it you without any other design than to shew you that I reckon nothing dear to me, when I want to do you a pleasure.
- simple past of show
- As I travelled the signposts shew me the way.
- A show.